Wednesday, October 29, 2014

The Pen is Mightier...

I don't understand people who are offended by words. Well, actually I guess I just don't understand people who get offended. I said the word thing first because I saw an article talking about Redskins and its use as a mascot. Apparently, there is this high school in the Navajo nation where the mascot is Redskins and most of the faculty and students support the name. They don't find it offensive, in contrast to the more national debate of the name of the Washington NFL franchise.

First off, who cares? Some people find the term offensive. Okay. I can understand the Native Americans that find it offensive. The white people? Not so much. White people don't see race. They see things to complain about to make them feel better about themselves because it's the right thing to do.

What happened to, "sticks and stones will break my bones, but words will never hurt me"? Is that just something you tell a kid who is getting bullied (because obviously there are no good solutions for bullying)? I remember saying that as a kid. And I guess I kind of took it to heart.

I have a general apathy about me though. Maybe that's why I'm not so great at the blogging. But anyway...

Why should anyone care about what someone else has to say about them? Why does a name matter? Isn't it all about context? Redskins is just the name of a football team. Like the N-word for instance. If you're some uneducated black kid, go ahead and spit it out every other word. No one cares. If you're white? Don't say it. Why? Who knows? Because white people are afraid of black people? Probably.

Call me whatever you want. I don't care.

Comments:

kocaeli our home and transportation services near the house shipping is done gebze lift.



เย็ดสาว
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


42%