Thursday, October 04, 2007

For how long do we elect the president?

I stumbled upon this question which apparently comes from some sort of test used by the US Immigration and Naturalization Service.

Your answer is 4 years, right?

My initial answer was about 13 hours. I was thinking that the polls open at about 7am and close at about 8pm.

Not that it's our job to elect the president. That is up to the Electoral College. But we like to think we have a say in it.

In Oregon we vote by mail. I was reading over this article about the vote by mail system. It says I have to put a first class stamp on the return envelope.

I have to pay to vote!!?!?!?!?

What is this craziness? What happened to prepaid envelopes? Doesn't anyone see something wrong with this? Not that you have to be rich to buy a 32 cent stamp, but is this right? What happens if I just drop my envelope in the mail box without a stamp. Are they going to send it back to me and tell me my voice doesn't matter because I don't want to buy a stamp from the post office? I don't even know where the post office is. I don't mail letters. I do Netflix, but that's free postage. Netflix understands the needs of the people better than the Oregon state government.

In Idaho I walked down to the school, put my X in the box, some lady said, "Brian has voted," and they gave me an "I Voted" sticker.

I want my sticker, dammit!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


42%