Saturday, April 22, 2006

Goooooooooooaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllll!

Who's excited about this June's World Cup? In lieu in having a country in which I've lived playing in the tournament (Well, there is the USA, but it would be un-American to acknowledge soccer exists in this country. What is that? Fooseball with real people?), I've done a little bit of research and have decided that I shall root for newcomers to the world cup, Togo! How can you go wrong with rooting for a country that was the first to land on the moon? Togo's Adebayor was the leading scorer in the African Zone and I'm looking for him to be a contender for the Golden Shoe. You may ask, "But Brian, why root for the relative unknown whose odds are 500 to 1 to win? Why don't you root for defending champs Brazil or the strong English team or for the home team in Germany?" To that, I laugh. hahahahahahahahahhaha. Last time around I rooted for Turkey. Who saw them making the semi-finals and earning third place? They played two tough matches against the champion Brazil. So you see? Anything is possible. Togo has a tough match up with France in their group, but let us remember that Senegal stunned the Frenchies in 2002. Togo can do it too. I believe I can Fly! I believe I can touch the sky!

Comments:
I've been practicing kicking the soccer ball around with rory. we've gotten pretty good at keeping it in the air. Its kinda like kicking around a giant hacky sack. Go soccer. HOCKEY PLAYOFFS TOO!!
 
I'll be joining you in rooting for Togo, my good man. How could you not enjoy getting on the bandwagon of one of the African "finger" countries? Incidentally, the thin "finger" countries are shaped that way because during colonial times, the Europeans simply drew lines on a map that extended inland from the main port cities. That is why the look long and skinny and jut inward, despite the fact that most population and geographic bands run horizontally in that part of Africa.

Yeah, facts!!
 
next to football hockey is my 2nd favorite sport! my team lost
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


42%