Saturday, September 15, 2007

Beavermania!!!

My old home town team is coming to Corvallis today to play my new home town team. I'd go, but I never sat through an ISU game when I was in Pocatello, I don't see why I should ruin that streak today just because of a change in scenery. Maybe I'll go into town though to see what kind of trouble I can get myself into.

People around here really get into college football. You see Beaver and Duck flags sticking out of every car driving around. People are either wearing orange and black or yellow and green on Saturdays. When I drove down to Cali for Labor Day weekend I experienced more traffic passing Eugene than I did passing Lake Shasta which is sort of a Northern California holiday Mecca.

One thing I regret is that I never went to a college with a stellar sports program. My friend Bob went to Florida. My friend Korry went to Ohio State. Katherine went to UNC. Zach went to Notre Dame. Natalie went to Indiana. Me? I went to Wright State, St. Cloud State, and Idaho State. When I did apply to a Big 10 school, it was Minnesota.

Needless to say I've never painted myself up for a football game. I've never bled school colors (unless you count SCSU being red, then technically...). I've never had my school appear in a championship game. I've never been on national television yelling, "We're #1" to the camera.

When I was in 8th grade, I was in the Honor Club and we had to write letters to colleges that we were interested in attending when we graduated. I chose who to write to based on Final Four and Orange Bowl appearances. I believe at the time it was North Carolina, Michigan, Kentucky, Cincinnati, and Florida State (Nebraska was a big football school at the time, but who would want to go there).

But nope, never went to any of those schools. Why I even went to college is still a mystery to me. Waste of time and money if you ask me.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


42%