Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Overheard at the Grocery Store

I went to Fred Meyer today after work. As I was walking in, there was a family walking out. The little girl was crying, probably because she couldn't get a toy or some candy, or because she was related to this crazy lady who was her mother. Her mother says to her, "Look, now you're showing everyone how ugly you can be!" Zap! This child is scarred for life. I'm not a parenting expert by any means, but I'm doubting the thought process employed in selecting this strategy. This little girl is going to grow up thinking she's ugly.

When I was little if I wanted something at the store, my mom would just say no. If I whined like that kid, she would just spank me or threaten it for when we got home. No lifetime emotional trauma involved.

Eventually I just learned that if I wanted something really bad I should just throw it in the cart when mom wasn't looking and then make sure I was being "helpful" when we got to the checkout and put all the groceries on the conveyor belt for her. I generally had a 50/50 shot. So, not only did I grow up thinking that I was not ugly, but I also learned to think outside of the box and develop alternate strategies toward desired ends.

My advice for people with kids: Keep your kids at home. Normal people would appreciate it. And... your bad parenting skills won't come into question.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


42%