Wednesday, June 09, 2004

no more homework, no more books

Well, today was the last day of school. Happy and sad all rolled into one. There were kids skipping away, singing songs. And then there were kids who had to bawl their eyes out. I spent a majority of my lunch hour and after school signing yearbooks and t-shirts. There were kids who came up to me that I didn't know. So I wrote the standard, "have a great summer!" With the kids I knew, I would write stuff like, "You're my favorite student, blah, blah, blah." Hopefully they don't get together and compare notes.

I always liked signing yearbooks when I was in school. At first though, I thought it was kind of strange. Why would I want people writing all over my yearbook? Then in about sixth grade, when I realized all the cook kids were doing it, I would let the other kids sign there names. Some wrote little notes: "Stay cool" or "see you next year." In eighth grade on up, as adolescents, my fellow students and I were getting in touch with our emotions. Some friends would write these long passages about how we were great friends, they're glad they met me, and we need to stay in touch forever, blah, blah, blah. Some people didn't like me. "Eat shit and die!" is one phrase that comes to mind. Of course that person was getting revenge on me for writing it in her yearbook the year before. At the end of high school we were retrospective (remember the time...) and looking toward the future ("have a great summer" became "have fun in college"). Now I can look back on nine yearbooks or so of old memories. Of course, that would be if I actually knew where all those yearbooks were. I'm sure my mom has them saved somewhere.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


42%